[Lowcarbezine] Quarterly (?) Digest

HoldTheToast webmaster at holdthetoast.com
Thu Jul 3 20:27:08 EDT 2008

Hey Gang,

    Webmaster here, AKA "Good Old What's-His-Face"! I just wanted to
fill you all in on what's been happening on HoldTheToast.com, and let
you know we're still here. In fact, Dana has been doing lots of
"blogging" on the website, so I'm going to give you a few highlights.

    But first, a big announcement! Jimmy Moore, of Livin' La Vida Low
Carb (www.livinlavidalowcarb.com) is planning a low carb cruise for this
January. Long story short, we'll be going, too, and will be joining the
list of featured speakers! We're really, really excited about this. Read
more on the HTT blog at: http://www.holdthetoast.com/node/164

    Meanwhile, here are some highlights of what Dana has been blogging
about since the last "issue" of Lowcarbezine! And I will be trying to
put out one of these digests each quarter at least, if not more often.

Oh, Fercryinoutloud! The "Big Breakfast" Study
http://www.holdthetoast.com/node/157
    I have a Google News Alert set for "low carbohydrate." For the past
few days it's been sending me a headlines about the so-called "Big
Breakfast" study. Here are some of them....

Is Ignorance Bliss?
http://www.holdthetoast.com/node/156
    That Nice Boy I Married and I were invited to a small cookout
Saturday night. Had a very nice time -- good food, good company, lovely
evening for sitting out. Well, it kind of sucked that while everyone
else was drinking wine, I was sucking down a whole 2 liter bottle of
club soda. But other than that, a really great time....

What Am I Serving the (hopeful) Judge?
http://www.holdthetoast.com/node/141
    I'm having a meet-the-candidate event for a local candidate for
judge this afternoon. This, of course, means I have to have party food.
Thought you might be interested in what I'm serving, though not all of
it is low carb....

Making the Most of the Corned Beef and Cabbage
http://www.holdthetoast.com/node/130
    Here is is, Wednesday, and we're still getting great meals out of
Sunday's early St. Patrick's Day dinner of corned beef and cabbage.
Monday night I made Corned Beef Hash, and boy, was it great! Here's how....

Insulin's Evil Twin
http://www.holdthetoast.com/node/125
    From the Learn Something New Every Day Files: While writing The
Glycemic Load Cookbook, I learned something fascinating from Dr. Rob
Thompson: Insulin has an "evil twin," a compound called amylin For every
molecule of insulin the beta cells in your pancreas create, they also
create a molecule of amylin. Your body can get rid of small quantities
of amylin, but large quantities will build up in what Dr. Rob termed
"sludge" and cause the beta cells to burn out and die....

    Plus plenty of reprints of Dana's erstwhile syndicated column, daily
menus, news briefs and what-have-you. So come check us out if you
haven't been to the website for a while. Dana adds new stuff several
times a week these days. You can even comment on what you read there,
after signing up for a user account on the website -- it's easy and FREE!

    Hope you're all doing well! Till next time...

-Eric