[Lowcarbezine] Dana's Blog Digest, 19 September 2010

HoldTheToast Webmaster webmaster at holdthetoast.com
Sun Sep 19 20:08:21 EDT 2010

Hey, Gang --

I'm done!  I'm done!  I've hit "send," and sent 100 new 15 Minute
Low-Carb Recipes to my publisher.  The expanded edition of the book will
be out in the spring.  YAY!

Here's the digest -- you'll see the big news this week is gelatin.  Yes,
gelatin.  Go read!

Oh, and we're late concluding the recipe contest, but submissions are
closed, and a winner will be announced next Friday.  If you've been
meaning to try a recipe or to vote, get to it!
http://holdthetoast.com/recipe_contest_2010

Dana

Okay, So We're Late
by Dana on Sun, 2010-09-19

We were supposed to announce a winner for the low carb recipe contest on
Labor Day, but then I was supposed to start an internet radio show Labor
Day, too. Life got in the way. However, we will announce the winner of
the contest -- and the mixed case of Zevia -- this coming Friday.
Submissions are closed. And if you'd like to register an opinion on one
or more recipes, you need to do it in the next few days.

http://holdthetoast.com/recipe_contest_2010

Low Carb Sesame Noodles!
by Dana on Sat, 2010-09-18

Got a Chinese food jones? Here’s your dish! This serves four as a side
dish, but it makes a nice, light supper for two. And there’s no law
against halving the recipe if it’s just you – but if you make the whole
thing you’ll have leftovers to reheat tomorrow, you know.

http://holdthetoast.com/content/low-carb-sesame-noodles

Quote of the Day
by Dana on Fri, 2010-09-17

"I joke that a big juicy steak is my beauty secret. But seriously, I
love red meat. I was a vegan for a long time, and it nearly killed me. I
found I was not getting enough nutrition." -- Angelina Jolie

I confess to being a little surprised that a woman who used to wear a
vial of her lover's blood around her neck had ever been a vegan. Still,
great quote.

Porterhouse Au Poive with Balsamic Reduction
by Dana on Thu, 2010-09-16

Here's a stray recipe I had kicking around. I figured it was a fast way
to get a blog post up during my race to the deadline, and it's
classically delicious. I originally made this with a grass-fed
porterhouse I was lucky enough to be given, but it should be good with
conventionally raised meat, as well. My steak was a good 1 1/2" thick.

Porterhouse Au Poive with Balsamic Reduction

http://holdthetoast.com/content/porterhouse-au-poive-balsamic-reduction

What Do You Say, Dear?
by Dana on Tue, 2010-09-14

I'm curious: How do you tell people you're low carb? Under what
circumstances? Or do you? Do you wait for someone to ask why you're not
eating the potatoes? Do you just order the bunless burger and salad at
the fast food joint, and let the counter clerk figure it out? Do you
bring it up if someone asks if you want a birthday cake at the office?
If someone asks you to a dinner party?

http://holdthetoast.com/content/what-do-you-say-dear

What Growth Hormone Releaser Did I Order?
by Dana on Tue, 2010-09-14

TunaTexas asked:

I noticed that even though you gave the link to the company you're
buying your growth hormone stimulating supplements from, you didn't
actually name the products. I understand that you may not want to do
that for fear of seeming to endorse them. But...if you could share the
product names with me, I would like to try them also, and I could share
my results with you as well.

http://holdthetoast.com/content/what-growth-hormone-releaser-did-i-order

Questions Re Gelatin
by Dana on Tue, 2010-09-14

Unsurprisingly, my post about my gelatin supplementation and my
excitement about it has generated a lot of interest, and raised a lot of
questions. Let me address this.

* Although I did wake up four pounds lighter the next morning, as I said
I do not believe gelatin made me magically lose four pounds of fat
overnight. I have not been dropping weight like crazy, though I've
remained a couple of pounds lighter. I do feel like my body is a bit
firmer, like the gelatin is doing good things for my muscles. Keep in
mind that I'm doing Slow Burn on my Total Gym every 4-6 days or so.

http://holdthetoast.com/content/questions-re-gelatin

"Farm-Raised Vegetables"
by Dana on Mon, 2010-09-13

Campbell's is currently advertising that their soup is made with
"farm-raised vegetables." Where else, pray, would their vegetables be
raised? Are we supposed to assume that the competition uses manufactured
vegetables? Or perhaps mistake "farm-raised" for "locally grown" or
"organic?" If so, it's not working with me.

More on Ornish and that Stupid Study
by Dana on Sun, 2010-09-12

Yet more about why Ornish's statements about how the recent study
demonstrates -- well, anything about either the Atkins diet or the very
low fat vegetarian diet he espouses -- shows he's
wrong-wrong-wrongity-McWrong-Wrong.

http://abundantbrain.com/2010/09/why-dean-ornish-is-wrong/

My Email To The Huffington Post
by Dana on Sun, 2010-09-12

As you know, we resolutely avoid politics around here, except for food
politics. I'm sure my readers run the gamut from liberal to
conservative, and that's as it should be; we all have a human
physiology. But my liberal readers should know that popular liberal
blog, The Huffington Post, has appointed Dr. Dean Ornish as their Senior
Medical Editor. Here is the email I sent the HuffPo today:

Dean Ornish is a shill, an industry unto himself, and perfectly willing
to evade or stretch the truth to protect his empire. How else to explain
his article about how "the Atkins diet" is killing people, when the
study in question didn't cite the Atkins diet,  not a single soul in the
study was eating anything even *close* to the Atkins diet, and the group
Ornish pretended were eating something close to his prescribed diet were
eating plenty of animal foods?  Dishonest in the extreme.

http://holdthetoast.com/content/my-email-huffington-post

Gelatin Is Blowing My Mind
by Dana on Sat, 2010-09-11

I started writing this a week ago. Indeed, I wrote quite a lot, and in a
white heat. I knew it was coming out jumbled and all-over-the-place, but
I was so excited the information was just pouring out. So I'm starting
over, and with luck the new version will come out less disjointed, but
no less passionate.

I have, for a week, been taking gelatin as a supplement. Just plain
gelatin, the stuff you'd find in a box labeled "Knox" at your grocery store.

http://holdthetoast.com/content/gelatin-blowing-my-mind

Another Great Article
by Dana on Sat, 2010-09-11

Since I'm taking the lazy way out and posting links to other people's
articles today, I thought I'd include this one, from Tom Naughton's Fat
Head Blog. Great stuff about the "low carb" "study". (Sorry about all
the quotation marks, but it didn't qualify as much of a study, and it
sure didn't involve low carb diets.)

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2010/09/09/the-atkins-study-ahem-ahem-according-to-ornish/

Denise Minger Deconstructs the New Low Carb Study
by Dana on Fri, 2010-09-10

Oh, man, do I have a girl-crush, and I mean that in a totally
non-creepy, non-sexual, geez-I-admire-this-woman kinda way. The
brilliant Denise Minger, who wrote the classic deconstruction of the
China Study, has trained her laser gaze upon the new study
"demonstrating" that "low carb" (hah!) diets high in animal foods will
kill you, but "low carb" (hah!) diets based on plant foods are good for
you. You gotta read this!

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/09/08/brand-spankin-new-study-are-low-carb-meat-eaters-in-trouble/

You Have To Read The Comments
by Dana on Thu, 2010-09-09

Low fat shill Dean Ornish in the Huffington Post regarding the study
quoted as demonstrating a low carb diet based on animal foods is bad,
while one based on plant foods is good. I have zippo respect for Ornish,
but the comments are very interesting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-dean-ornish/an-atkins-diet-increases-_b_707005.html?show_comment_id=59751118#comment_59751118

Atkins Nutritionals' Response To This Stupid "Study"
by Dana on Thu, 2010-09-09

You've heard the news, no doubt, that a new "study" demonstrates that a
low carb diet high in meat is bad for you, but one high in vegetable
protein is beneficial. You knew at first glance that this was a
ridiculous piece of crap, right? Here's what the articles are all saying
about how this study was done:

Two studies are reported here, one that followed more than 85,000 women
from 1980 through 2006 and one that followed over 44,500 men from 1986
through 2006.

http://holdthetoast.com/content/atkins_nutritionals_response_to_this_stupid_study